Thursday, October 30, 2008

Thanksgiving Pre-Show!!!

Shelby called last night, and as usual the discussion turned to Thanksgiving. It's really her favorite holiday of the year! She said that her goal this year is to learn to make bread.....then she remembered the bread I used to make and asked me about it.

I got that recipe sooooo long ago that it's in shreds right now....touch it and it turns to dust. But it's a great recipe and although I've seen it duplicated in many ways, I still make it the same. You start by making your "starter". Before commercial yeasts and baking powders were available, this is similar to how bread was made.


Bread Starter

3/4 cup sugar
1 cup very warm water
3 tablespoons potato flakes (See Note)


Stir together using a wooden spoon (never put a metal spoon in your starter)... ...and set out on the counter for 3 to 5 days. Stir it every day until you see bubbles forming at the top of the mixture. Then place it in the refrigerator for 3 days.
After 3 days, remove the mixture from the fridge and add the above ingredients again and stir. Leave on the counter 8 to 10 hours. Remove one cup of the mixture and throw it away, then put back in the refrigerator for an additional 3 to 5 days.

The next time you take it out, feed it....leave on the counter 8 to 10 hours, then use one cup of the mixture to make your bread or give it to a friend, putting the rest in the fridge for future use.
I know this sounds daunting, but I promise you it's not. I'll keep you posted on the progression of my starter, then we'll make bread together!
Important Note: Make sure when you purchase your potato flakes that you don't buy any that are flavored...not even with butter. You need the plain potato flakes,ok?

No comments: