Saturday, October 4, 2008

I was just thinking......

.....that you guys might be thinking that I spend a small fortune on herbs........I don't. I also don't have a garden anymore....we gave that up a couple of years ago because we just don't have enough energy to fight the weed kingdom!


I grow my own herbs.....for just a $1.99 I buy the plants and just water and fertilize them. They are quite hardy and will forgive you if you forget to water them for a day or so (except for basil....it loves water!). Here's one of my pots of herbs:

This one has basil (which you can see is starting to wane on me....it doesn't like cool air and must be planted in the latter part of spring...in these parts anyway) at the top, with parsley just below it (I do buy parsley during the hottest months because this is a cool weather herb...it's just starting to really grow). On the front is my sage, which will last quite a bit longer....on the left is my oregano and on the back is my thyme. My rosemary (which will grow year round and can be planted in the flower beds and will get huge!) and my chives are in a separate pot (rosemary and chives grow year round....chives do prefer cooler weather):
I like herbs in any shape or form....dried or fresh....but I prefer the flavor of the fresh and the rustic look and color it adds to my food. You can grow them on your deck, patio or even in a sunny window. Just a thought I thought I'd share.

No comments: