Thursday, September 3, 2009

Potluck, Part One

And I especially love them when there is a very good reason to have one......the "monthly potluck luncheon" thing doesn't entice me....but when I'm invited to share in a special occasion? I'm there!

Yesterday there was a very special occasion! One of my colleagues, Janet Aslett, had the good fortune (and intelligence!) to retire from the wonderful world of mortgage banking after spending 26 years providing homebuyers and homeowners with her vast knowledge. I will miss most knowing that I can always call her and get the "right" answer to my questions!

So, what did I take to the luncheon? You know that I pondered long and hard....even waited until the last minute to say what I'd be bringing. Of course, I brought the first thing I thought of....and the one thing I always know is a hit: Vidalia Onion Dip! It's in my cookbook, but this time I put a little twist on it.....cream cheese! Everything is better with cream cheese! So.....here's the recipe....

Twisted Vidalia Onion Dip

1 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened (I zapped it in the microwave)1 medium Vidalia onion, diced (I used my mini-food processor)
1 cup mayonnaise (You know I didn't measure, don't you!)
1 cup grated parmesan (I like the good stuff...no Kraft!)

Mix all of this together, put into a casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees until it's warm and bubbly! Now how easy is that? I served it with toasted, sliced baguette (Harris Teeter - they slice, I drizzle with olive oil and bake at 400 degrees until browned).
Here's Jan sitting in her office....for the last time! Maybe someday I'll have a picture like that!
Here she is with a wonderful gift given to her by Kathy Reed, another colleague. Kathy and Jan worked together at Countrywide/Bank of America for over 15 years! Kathy is an integral part of our BofA family and, like Jan, she is knowledgeable, nice, helpful, nice, generous, nice......AND creative and nice! Isn't this the cutest thing! Jan's "new life" clock! I want one! Oh well.....someday.....


Here's the group enjoying the fruits of each other's labor....you cannot imagine how much food there was....and it was all fabulous! There was lumpia, fried chicken, caesar's salad, chicken and dumplings, braised pork, meatballs....and tons more! Oh, wait....there were these sweet potato biscuits with sliced Smithfield ham....you know, the salty kind! It turns out they were purchased elsewhere, so we didn't get a recipe with them. But you know one will coming, don't you!?

Here's Jan's farewell cake....

Next up....part two of the "potluck" saga! As I sit here working on this post, Dennis is at his office for a potluck for his broker's birthday! Happy Birthday, Tonya! For his potluck I made a killer sausage dip......with cream cheese, of course! Check back later for this one!

No comments: