Monday, August 27, 2012

Roasted Tomato Soup....with Roasted Garlic!!!

It's one of my favorite things about the month of July......it used to be my birthday, but that was a long time ago.  Now it's those bright red fruit you find on the vegetable aisle....tomatoes!

When I was young my Dad grew at least 10 vines and my Mom made canned tomato sauces, tomato juice with them.  Me?  I liked the ones Dad called the "Big Boy".....that was the name of the tomato.  One slice would fit on a slice of bread to ensure a taste in every bite!  Tomato....mayonnaise......bread......yumm!  If I wasn't in a hurry to taste it, I'd add lettuce and sometimes bacon!  Mom liked her "open face" sandwiches....one slice of bread toasted with a slice of cheese and a slice of tomato........then cooked bacon once it was done.  I need one of those....

But as the vines started slowing down production, we knew fall was around the corner and the first taste of fall was...................Momma's Tomato Soup!

I still make it now and then, although not as often as I'd like....but then I don't grow tomatoes anymore either....another story!  But while I was at Harris Teeter the other day, I noticed huge bags of tomatoes on the clearance rack.  There wasn't a thing wrong with them.....just more ripe than the others, so I thought.......soup!!!

I brought them all home and sliced them (I don't bother with skinning them, but you can)....drizzle them with olive oil, salt and pepper and place them on a baking sheet to bake at 375 degrees until them just start to brown. 
 
This time I decided to add a head of garlic to the pan....I just drizzled some olive oil over it and wrapped it in some aluminum foil and set it in the corner!
 
 
Once the tomatoes were done l let them cool just a bit before putting them into the blender and squeezed the garlic out of the head.
 
 
 
I added them to the tomatoes in the blender.....
 
 
 
Wanna see?
 
 
 
Then whrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........easy peasy!
 
 
 
Next make sure you taste the soup.....depending on the tomatoes, you may need a little sugar or a little cream.....to tame the acidity.  Mine needed cream.......
 
 
 
And then you eat it.........well, not before making it look pretty and taking lots and lots of pictures.  OK, only four........
 
 
......and then I ate it..............
 
 
Next year I'm growing tomaotes...........
 









No comments: