Sunday, November 14, 2010

Ceviche and Fish Tacos.......By Evan!

Who would have thought.....the child that wouldn't try ANYTHING new....the one who only liked cereal, hot dogs, pizza, spaghetti and chicken (and yes, we told him ALL meats were chicken)....hated all things vegetable.....now will try anything....and wants to be a chef!!!  I know!!  Who WOULD have thought?

Evan has been anxious to show me his new found skills in the kitchen, so he came over one evening with his girlfriend, Emilia, to cook dinner with me.  He was especially interested in making a ceviche....particularly a Peruvian style ceviche like the one we'd had at Side Street Cantina in Virginia Beach....but with Evan's own twist.

He started his slicing and dicing.....
Cucumber.....
The fish.....we chose tilapia....

Red onion and cilantro.....

and his twist.....avocado!  He then juiced his limes...

Then added the vegetables, shrimp and fish for a good soak....just long enough to "cook" the fish....

It was delicious....in fact, it was so delicious that we just ate....no photos.....just eating...

To go with the Ceviche, Evan wanted to make Fish Tacos for us and we had plenty of fish, so why not?  I helped out by making a Pico de Gallo with tomatoes, onions, cilantro, lime juice and garlic...I also added a little chili power and a tiny touch of sugar.
Evan did the rest.....he prepped all of his toppings....

He sliced the fish, tossed it in melted butter and coated it with blackening seasoning.....then cooked it...

It was a rather simple dish, but what I enjoyed most was watching Evan prepare it.....he is precise in his intentions and movements....organized in his thoughts and actions. 


He has a clear vision of how he wants his dishes to look and taste, but his real joy is sharing his food....and hoping that it makes you happy....

....and it does....

So, was I surprised when he called me only a couple of weeks later to announce that he wants to be a Chef?  No....not at all.....I'd been hoping he would figure that out for himself....and he did!  I'm looking forward to watching him grow in this new realm!  And I'm expecting some great  things from him......food related and not.  Note to Evan:  I'm proud of you!  Go and get what you want and deserve.....and keep the passion!

No comments: