Saturday, January 24, 2009

Where Have I Been???

Wow.....I just can't believe it's been 5 weeks since I've posted! I've been cooking and I've been snapping pictures, but I just haven't had the time to post them. Dennis is handling foreclosure properties for Countrywide now and I've been pitching in to help him.....we work most nights until almost midnight and we when take a few minutes to relax, the last place I want to be is in front of the computer, since that's where I've been the whole day!
So last Saturday morning I wanted to make sure we had a really delicious and satisfying breakfast to start yet another busy day (yep, we're working 7 days a week!). Since I'm on a lower carb diet (7 pounds so far!), I decided to keep it pretty low carb, even though it might be a little high in the "fat" area......it was a day to splurge and pamper ourselves.




So I made one of my faves for breakfast, Eggs Benedict!!! It's so simple, you really don't need a recipe......well, maybe for the hollandaise, if you're going to make it from scratch. Because I had minimal time, I used Knorr's Hollandaise Sauce mix....it's nowhere near as good as made from scratch, but in a pinch, it works and it's delicious. I will post my recipe from my cookbook for scratch hollandaise sauce....it really is easy to make...promise!




Soooooooo........I started by poaching my eggs. Everyone has their secret to good poached eggs, but mine starts with adding just a tablespoon or so of white vinegar to the water. It doesn't affect the taste at all, but it does help keep those egg whites from falling apart and going everywhere once the egg is put into the water. The next thing I do is put my egg in a measuring cup and then gently lower it into the water, making as little motion in the water as possible. Just use the back of a spoon to lightly press on the yolk until it gets to the consistency you want it.
Since Dennis doesn't diet AT ALL, I toasted English muffins for him, but for me I just put my heated Canadian bacon on the plate, chopped leftover grilled asparagus on top of that, then the egg and topped it with the hollandaise sauce. For taste and appearance I usually use chopped chives, but mine has passed away, so I diced up green onions....not much difference and still delicious!
Bad picture.....sorry, but I'm still trying to figure this camera out. I refuse to give up and go with a "point and shoot"!

No comments: