Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Hopefully Devoted to You!

I know, I know......I really did have good intentions, but life does get busy sometimes. But it looks like the OSLs are having Food Network dreams at night and reliving them during the day, so it's time......time to share what I've spent many, many years working hard to achieve....cooking skills!

As I stated many months ago, when I started this blog, this is just the greatest way in the world for me to share my recipes. I joined Tastebook.com last year and started a cookbook for my family and friends.....it was my "Favorite Things" Christmas gift for 2007.....but they are a little pricey, so I'll work on reproducing those recipes here....just for you! I encourage each of you to be bold with these recipes.....that's what I do. If I'm craving something, I look at several recipes and make changes according to what I like and don't like. Go for it....be bold.....it's only food!!!

Here's the first recipe......this one is dedicated to Lindsey:


Spaghetti and Meatballs


Marinara Sauce

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 large cans canned tomatoes (I prefer the whole ones, then I crush them with my hands...diced works fine, too...you can even use Ragu!)
1 cup red wine (white works, if that's what you have)
1 teasoon sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until they are soft. Add the tomatoes, wine, sugar and salt and pepper. Cook until the sauce is thick on medium low. Keep an eye on the sauce and adjust the heat on your stove accordingly...you want a very light simmer, but stir often to make sure it's not burning on the bottom (yuck!) While the sauce is cooking, it's time to make meatballs!


Meatballs

4 slices of white bread (bread that's more dense works best)
3/4 cup milk
Olive Oil
1 onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, smashed and chopped (not too fine)
1 1/2 pounds ground beef (I prefer 80/20 for best flavor)
1 1 /2 pounds ground pork
1 large egg
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano cheese
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped (dried is fine!)
1 tablespoons fresh basil (or 1 T dried)
1 tablespoons dried thyme (or 1 dried)
Salt and pepper to taste (I prefer to salt and pepper later when I eat)
4 cups marinara sauce (Yes, I do use Ragu, or a version thereof, sometimes...but I soup it up a little with garlic and basil)
1 pound spaghetti noodles

Pour the milk over the bread in a bowl to moisten. Let it soak.
Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet. Add the onion and garlic and cook until they are soft, but still translucent. Let cool.

Combine the meats in a large bowl and add the egg, Parmigiano cheese, parsley, basil and thyme, salt and pepper. Use your hands to squeeze the milk from the bread and add it to the bowl of meat mixture, along with the cooled onion and garlic. Combine the ingredients with your hands or spoon....be careful not to over mix them or your meatballs will be tough. Divide into 10 meatballs.

Heat enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan and brown the meatballs on all sides. Add to the sauce above about one half hour into the simmer process and let them cook the rest of the way in the sauce. Add the basil at the end and serve over your cooked spaghetti....(follow the directions on the box...no mystery there!), topped with MORE Parmigiano cheese!
Bon Appetito!!!!!!!

No comments: